Let me help you design engaging learning
experiences using technology with your students.
THIS IS MY STORY
I didn’t know I wanted to be a teacher when I was growing up in rural Illinois. My mom was a middle school science teacher, and my sister and I have both always loved science. I graduated from university with a degree in physics thinking I would become an engineer. My first job after graduation was teaching English in Kumamoto, Japan. It was there, among Japanese middle school students, where I found my true calling. I returned home to Illinois, became a physics teacher, and never looked back. Since then, I have had the pleasure of working with students and teachers from grade 6 through university in Illinois, Mexico, and Singapore.
While teaching physics in Mexico, I realized the power that technology had to engage and inspire my students. This led me to become an education technology coach where I get to support teachers in using technology purposefully and meaningfully for student learning. The best part of my job is getting to share and learn with teachers and students throughout the school.
As a technology coach in Singapore, I played a large role in designing and implementing the 1:1 laptop program in our middle school. Through this experience, I learned how to support teachers and administrators in a changing landscape. I also had the opportunity to be part of my school’s research and development team where we visited schools around the world doing things differently to learn and bring back best practices to lead change at our school.
I currently plan and deliver professional learning experiences for teachers around the country. I love facilitating discussion on how to inspire all students to be creators, thinkers, and lifelong learners. I love supporting teachers as they continue to push the envelope of what learning looks like in the classroom. I am proud to be a member of the teaching profession.
- Photography – I started my photography habit early when I used to take photos of the sunset in our backyard with my parents’ camera….over and over again.
- Piano – My mom set the timer on the microwave and made me practice piano until it dinged. She said I’d thank her one day. She was right; I did.
- Travel – I believe world peace can be achieved through travel and cultural understanding.
- Science – Physics will always be my first content love.
- Graphic Design – Visual literacy is an important skill that we don’t always teach our students. I’m on a mission to change that.
- Family – I love spending time with both the people and the pets in my family. They are the best.
M.S. Ed. Instructional Technology, 2009
Illinois Type 10 Technology Specialist Certificate (K-12)
Northern Illinois University
M. Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Science Education, 2001
Illinois Type 09 Secondary Education Certificate (6-12)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
B.S. Physics, 1997
Illinois State University
Heather Dowd Consulting
Middle School Education Technology Coach
Singapore American School
Instructional Technology Specialist / Designer
Sauk Valley Community College
Physics / Math Teacher
American School Foundation of Monterrey, Mexico
Hinsdale South High School
Assistant English Teacher
Ushibuka Board of Education
Japan Exchange and Teaching Program